While the glittering lights, prettily wrapped packages and delicious treats all make for holiday fun, these same festive elements can pose risks for pets. Keep the season merry and bright by pet-proofing your holidays with these tips from the American Veterinary Medical Association: Seasonal decorations can be hazardous to pets. The holidays bring lots of seasonal home decorations, such as candles, decorated trees, and potpourri. Pet owners are urged to make sure pets are not left alone in decorated rooms to avoid potential dangerous situations. Don’t allow pets to chew on power cords or consume decorative elements such as tinsel.
Holidays plants can be poisonous to pets. Some holiday favorites such as mistletoe, holly, and lilies are actually harmful to pets. These plants should be kept out of pets’ reach.
People treats aren’t necessarily pet treats. One of the main challenges that comes along with the holiday season is the excess of food. It is encouraged that you keep “people food” in places that cannot be accessed by your pets. As your guests if they can do the same. Pet owners are urged to keep human treats away from pets. Specifically treats that contain chocolate, Xylitol, grapes/raisins, onions or other foods that are toxic for pets.
Pets react to holiday stress, just like people do. The holidays tend to bring lots of family and friends together in one place. Some pets get scared or excited around crowds or when they see new faces. It’s advised that pets are placed in a separate room while guests are visiting. Holiday travel and spending time in an unfamiliar environment can also cause disruptive or problematic behavior in pets. If your pet is unaccustomed to travel, consider hiring a pet sitter or boarding them at a qualified facility.